Ginger Nut biscuits
A quick and easy recipe for ginger nut biscuits - if worried about the sugar content then I think this could be reduced perhaps without affecting the final results.
Serves: 30 (approx)
- 340g/12oz plain flour
- 1 level tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 level tsps ground ginger
- 100g/4oz butter
- 160g light brown sugar
- 4 tblsp golden syrup
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C
- Cover the baking tray(s) with grease proof paper
- Place all dry ingredients in a bowl
- Rub in the butter using your fingers until it resembles bread crumbs.
- Mix in the sugar with a spoon/spatula
- Add the syrup and beaten egg and continue mixing with the spoon/spatula.
- Bring it together to form a smooth pastry dough.
Rolling and Cutting
- Lightly flour a work surface
- Roll out the dough to about 8-10mm (1/4 inch) thick.
- Cut out biscuits using a small round cutter (size according to preference)
- Place biscuits on baking tray(s) with room left for expansion of up to 25%
- Chill in the fridge for 20 minutes (on the baking trays)
- Cook for 10-15 minutes until golden brown.
- Use a knife to move them to a cooling rack.
- Try to resist the temptation to taste one until they're cool...